People assume older individuals lose teeth as they age but that's definitely a misconception. Dr. John Taylor III of St. Francis Dental in Baltimore, MD, provides patients with elderly geriatric dental care.
More About Elderly Geriatric Dental Care
"The elderly are retaining their dentition longer than in the past, dental morbidity prevalence of dental diseases continues to be high," according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health.
Proper dental care and routine checkups increase the longevity of teeth. You can improve the appearance of teeth while also maintaining proper function. With proper care, elderly people can look good, eat delicious and nutritious foods, and speak clearly and confidently.
What does your Baltimore dentist provide his patients?
Visiting a dentist is sometimes difficult for older patients. Dr. Taylor provides his patients with mobile dentistry. He delivers on-site care as a convenient and affordable alternative.
Your dentist will be able to check on your teeth to ensure there aren't any cavities or other diseases, like oral cancer or gingivitis. It's easier to treat diseased teeth or treat illnesses during their early stages.
Why is geriatric care so important?
- Older people suffer from dry mouth, which means they don't have enough saliva protecting teeth from decay.
- Gum disease symptoms go unnoticed but oral checkups can help prevent gum disease.
- One in five adults, 65 and older, have lost all their teeth, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which ultimately affects nutrition.
- Inflammation because gum disease increases the risk of heart disease, according to the American Academy of Periodontology.
- Bacterial pneumonia affects older adults with poor dental hygiene and smokers, so maintaining good dental hygiene in elderly adults may help lower the risk.
Would you like to see a dentist that has experience with the elderly?
Call Dr. John Taylor III in Baltimore, MD, at (410) 246-2791 for more information. And remember, he also covers Baltimore City and County, as well as the surrounding areas.